The Greek term anatomē (literally: ‘cutting up’) referred to both the field of knowledge concerning the structure of the body and the practical method of studying it through dissection and vivisection. Greco-Roman anatomical ideas and research played a decisive role in the history of medicine and philosophy, from antiquity until well into modern times.
In antiquity, anatomy was a dynamic field in the making and the anatomical picture and terminology differed among authors. We must speak, in fact, of anatomies, in the plural. Different authors depicted the structure of the body and its parts differently. The goal of the ATLOMY Project is to visually and textually chart and analyse the diverse anatomical ideas, terminologies and research methods.
Our team of classicists and historians, experts in modern human and veterinary anatomy and experts in 3D modelling and advanced software interfaces work together to re-enact ancient anatomical empirical research, decipher ancient anatomical ideas and create visual representations of these ideas and methods of research. Our research centers round the ancient anatomists whose ideas had the greatest impact in the history of science, medicine and philosophy: key medical authors of the 5th to 3rd centuries BCE; the philosopher Aristotle (4th century BCE); and the physician Galen of Pergamum).
Our key outputs will be (i) a digital lexicon of the anatomical terms used by the ancient anatomists, (ii) historical and methodological publications, (iii) a media gallery of select re-enactments of ancient dissections and (iv) a high-end interactive digital atlas of ancient anatomies, which will present the different anatomies in 3D models and offer advanced viewing and study tools.
The research plan and methods have been approved by the strict ERC Ethical screening process.
If you have any questions on this, please contact me at email@example.com.
- Principal Investigator (Dr. Orly Lewis)
- Postdoctoral Fellow working on Galen (starting year 1 - Emunah Levi)
- Postdoctoral Fellow working on Aristotle (starting year 2 - tba)
- Veterinary Medicine Experts (Koret Veterinary School, HUJI) (Dr. Joshua Milgram + Esteban Marroquín Arroyave)
- Product Manager (Premshay Hermon)
- 3D Illustrator (tba)
- Software Developer (tba)
- MA Students (tba)
- Administrative Manager (Mrs. Iris Pereg)
- Experts in Human Medicine (Medical Faculty, HUJI – Prof. Lili Anglister; Prof. Aharon Lev-Tov)
- Experts in Greco-Roman Medicine: (Prof. Pavel Gregoric; Dr. David Leith; Dr. Julius Rocca; Prof. Luis Alejandro Salas; Dr. Peter N. Singer)